DENOG eine Struktur geben - warum und welche?

Job Snijders job at ntt.net
Mo Dez 12 11:34:24 CET 2016

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 11:06:21AM +0100, Kai 'wusel' Siering wrote:
> [1] »DENOG ist eine Community für Menschen, die am Internet in
> Deutschland forschen, es betreiben und weiter entwickeln. Im Rahmen
> dieses technischen Forums treffen sich Menschen, die mit, für oder am
> Internet arbeiten und netzwerkspezifische Themen mit gleichgesinnten
> diskutieren, um sie dadurch einfacher lösen zu können.«
> (http://www.denog.de/main.php?lang=de)

To share some information from NLNOG. NLNOG is a "Stichting" - which is
a legal non-profit structure without membership (unlike an e.V.). In the
Netherlands such entities are used to accomplish some kind of goal (read
more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stichting)

The NLNOG Foundation has statues which define what is within the scope
of the Foundation's activities.  For those of you who can read Dutch I
invite you to look at the ultra official looking documents here:
https://nlnog.net/stichting_nlnog_oprichtings_akte.pdf

Here is a rough translation of Article 2:

"""
    1) The Foundation's purpose is:
        - Increase the quality and security of the Internet and other
          IP-based services;
        - Facilitate the professional Internet community within the
          Netherlands and outside the Netherlands, specifically by
          providing hardware, software and information to internet
          service providers;
        - To create a platform and a network of ICT-professionals;
    2) The Foundation accomplishes these goals with the following
       (amongst other activities):
        - organising congresses and other events;
        - the maintenance and administration of methods of communication
          for the target audience;
        - providing and maintaining ICT-services which are for the
          benefit of the quality and security of the Internet;
    3) The foundation does not persue profit and only serves the greater
    good.
"""

What we tried to capture in words the activities which were already
happening within NLNOG: the new years drink, the NLNOG-day and
software/services such as NLNOG RING.

A *NOG is not a software or hardware company, however in the case where
someone from the community has a good idea and needs a neutral place
(outside his/her employer) to host the deployment of that idea, a *NOG
organisation can be the ideal candidate. There is great value in
releasing online services which are operating under a *NOG's brand
instead of the company which developed it. A solid example of this is: I
encourage all my competitors to use http://irrexplorer.nlnog.net/ in
their communication with their customers. This would not be possible if
it were branded as an NTT product!

I don't consider NLNOG an organisation for lobbying: it does not have
the mandate to do so by its statues. I also feel it would distract from
the core mission: bring together the operator community and facilitate
them to help each other with knowledge, tools & services. I also fear
that lobby work would discourage the targets of such lobbying to attend
the *NOG event, without a lobbying side the event organisation clearly
has no political agenda and that makes the event and other activities
more inclusive.

Kind regards,

Job